109 How to Use TikTok Videos as Part of Your Learning Culture
10:45 AM - 11:45 AM
Wednesday, April 20
Tracks: Micro & Workflow Learning
Even with the explosion of conversation over recent years over microlearning, we still find ourselves creating learning modules that can be anywhere from 30-60 minutes long, and learners forget just as quickly as they took the module. What if we could create approachable, bite-sized videos that learners watch BEFORE walking into the classroom, so classroom time can be spent applying the knowledge, answering questions, working as a group, etc.? What if we encouraged our learners to be the stars of the learning? Will the organization begin to see more learners applying the skills through “social learning”?
In this session, you will learn what makes a great educational TikTok video, including the length, approachability, and hyper-focus that encourages retention rather than just seeing something and immediately forgetting it. You will learn how to create your own amazing educational videos including the tools needed, and animations and annotations you can use to enhance the learning. You will also walk through how to apply TikTok-style videos for your next flipped classroom. You will receive recommendations for hosting and curating content that your employers create for you. Finally, you will leave the session with a robust discussion of how you can use TikTok-type videos as a change agent in your organization to impact your organization’s culture and inspire behavior change.
In this session, you will learn:
- What makes a good TikTok video, including relatability and brevity
- How you can take these principles and apply them to your learning strategies
- What tools you can use to develop short, bite-sized content
- How you can involve your organization’s learners in creating content through campaigns and challenges that encourage your learners to be creative and share their best practices through TikTok-style videos
- How you can use TikTok-style videos to flip your next classroom
- How you can use TikTok-style videos to impact your organization’s culture
TikTok, digital hosting platforms for videos
Vanessa Alzate is the founder/CEO of Anchored Training. She received a BA in communication & political science from Rutgers University, and a MS in corporate & organizational communication from Northeastern University. For over a decade she has worked alongside organizations in industries ranging from pharma to fashion developing instructional strategies and solutions unique for them.